1. Remember this is a Portuguese Water Dog calendar. While beautiful photos that happen to have a PWD in them are appreciated, we are looking for photos in which the DOG is the main subject. Photos with other breeds of dogs in them are unlikely to be used.
2. Does your photo have the dog as the focus? Does it grab and hold the viewer’s attention? Does the photo tell a story? Is the image more than just a snapshot?
3. Does the dog appear to have fence posts or telephone poles or other such clutter coming out of its head or body? Does the background have clutter or unattractive objects (cars, buildings, chairs, etc) that detract from the photo? Are there cut-off parts of people in the photo that can’t be cropped out?
4. Is the lighting appropriate and can we see the dog’s face or is the dog in deep shadow and without distinct features? Does the dog stand out from the background? Is the dog in sharp focus?
5. Does the dog appear natural and relaxed? If the eyes are visible, are they in sharp focus and free from red eye type effects?
We hope these tips help you self-assess your photos and better understand the criteria we use when evaluating your submissions.